A seminar “State social order in Belarus: legal regulation and practical application” was held on May 24, 2017 within the framework of the project “Improved social services for people with disabilities”. 12 persons, including representatives of member organizations, the executive bureau of NGO “BelAPDIiMI” and the Territorial centre of social services to population of Sovetskiy district of Minsk, participated in the seminar.
Implementation of the state social order was started in 2013. It is important for NGOs to participate in calls for the state social order as it enhances the role of NGOs and gives them an opportunity to render services on a permanent basis.
8 primary organizations of NGO “BelAPDIiMI” have been rendering social services in local communities to families which look after children and young people with disabilities since September 2017. These services are of high demand and a few more primary organizations would like to render services within the state social order. That is why the aim of the seminar was to study legislative mechanisms and to develop competences which are necessary for determination of a strategy in respect of the state social order and preparation of proposals for local authorities.
The participants of the seminar had many questions to ask:
- How the situation with mechanisms of the state social order is changing?
- What changes happened in the legislation in respect of the state social order? Which changes are to happen?
- What was the positive experience of the state social order?
- What is the algorithm of actions to form the state social order?
- What problems other organizations faced with? What has to be taken into account while implementing the state social order?
- What level of education specialists have to have?
- Where and when do you have to go with your proposals?
Following issues were discussed during the seminar:
- The meaning of the state social order;
- Normative documents which regulate the state social order; expected changes based on the draft laws which are being studied at the moment by the Parliament;
- Practical application of the state social order in the Republic of Belarus;
- Drawing up documents to participate in a call for the state social order.
Different interactive methods of work were used during the seminar: mini-lectures accompanied by discussions, work in mini-groups which allowed the participants to develop competences which are necessary for effective work within the state social order.
All the activities planned within the seminar were carried out. The participants mentioned that they gained a system notion of the state social order and they know now the algorithm of their actions in order to participate in the state social order. They discussed their readiness to participate in the state social order, agreed to start a dialogue with local authorities in respect of the state social order and a possibility to get consultative support in the process of this dialogue.
Valeriy Zhurakovskiy, a trainer and a consultant of the International Educational Association “ACT”
The project “Improved social services for people with disabilities” is being implemented with the support of the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID)